Sunday, November 27, 2011

Ham and Egg Cups


We had the family over for brunch last Sunday. In terms of meal preparation timing, I stink. I don't want to start too early and risk the food get cold or overcooked. So I end up starting too late and rush around like a headless chicken. Definitely something I am working on. Luckily, my parents came over an hour early to help as my sous chefs.

My menu included:
scrambled eggs
home fries
mini bagels and lox
bacon
sausage
ham and cheese cups
toasted italian bread
fruit salad
chocolate chip muffins
coffee cake
coffee
orange juice
wine (Of course! We are Portuguese. My father brought over his homemade wine).

Needless to say, it was a pretty good spread for eight people. I really wanted to make ham and cheese cups. Of course, being the procrastinator that I am, I waited until the last minute to quickly search for a recipe that looked appetizing. In a crazed panic, I realized none fit the bill for the ingredients I had on hand. All the recipes (or the few that I looked at) called for egg subsitute or cubed ham. So I decided to wing it and they were a hit! This is definitely a recipe worth making again. They are so easy, cutesy and delicious! I am sure you could even freeze them to keep on hand for a quick breakfast.

Tip: My mother came up with the idea to use a cream dispenser to pour the eggs into the ham cups. This is so much easier then trying to spoon it in.

Ham and Egg Cups
Ingredients:
10 large eggs
3/4 lb sliced maple or honey deli ham
1/4 cup light cream
salt and pepper
3 green onions, finely minced
6 oz grated cheddar cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Insert maple ham slices into each well to form a cup. Edges will stick up. It is okay if it is not the neatest. In a bowl, mix eggs, cream, salt and pepper, and whisk. Pour egg mixture into ham cup until about halfway full. Sprinkle a teaspoon of green onions in each cup. Add more if you love green onions. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of cheese on each cup. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve.

Pin It



Search & Win

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Looks yummy.