Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cranberry-Apple Crisp


This is one of those recipes that came about while raiding the fridge. I bought one of those cutesy brown bags full of apples at the grocery store and came home only to realize that is a whole lot of apples for two people. I opened the freezer and staring at me was a bag of cranberries. Aha! Cranberry-Apple Crisp it is! I grabbed it and out with it came a box of meatless Chik'n patties. A patty flew through the air and the Yoshter snatched it. He ran to the bedroom and went under the bed with it. My husband and I spent the next 5 minutes with a flashlight and treats trying to coerce him to return the faux chicken patty. Eventually, I was able to get it from him by offering him real chicken. Go figure.

When I removed this crisp out of the oven I immediately began to sing "You're beautiful" by James Blunt because indeed, this crisp was a beaut. And delicious! I must warn you that it is quite tart but with a side of vanilla ice cream, it is yummy perfection. Enjoy!



Pin It




Cranberry-Apple Crisp
Adapted from Epicurious.com
Ingredients
Topping
  • 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 stick (6 tbsps) of chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Filling

  • 1 12-ounce package cranberries
  • 4 medium apples (I used McIntosh), peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons apple juice or cider (I used water)

Directions
For topping:
Combine brown sugar, oats, flour, and salt in large bowl; toss to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture comes together in moist clumps. Cover; chill while preparing filling. (Topping can be prepared 1 day ahead; keep chilled.)
For filling:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Generously butter a baking dish. I used an oval, ceramic dish, approximately 11.5" x 8". Combine cranberries, apples, sugar, and apple juice in large pot. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often. Boil until cranberries are tender and juices thicken slightly, about 8 minutes. Transfer filling to prepared dish. Sprinkle topping over.
Bake crisp until filling bubbles thickly and topping is crisp and deep golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.


Search & Win

No comments: