Sunday, February 5, 2012

Broccoli Pesto Pasta


The first blog I ever followed was Heidi Swanson's 101cookbooks.com before I even knew what a blog was. She is extremely talented and her dreamy photography makes me swoon. Her cookbooks have yet to reside on my bookshelf but they are on my wishlist. She emphasizes natural and wholesome foods and her recipes look delicious. Despite following her for so long, I have never made a recipe. Not Heidi's fault, I can be a bit of a slacker in the trying new recipes department. I finally got around to making this broccoli pesto pasta and it was delicious and easy. She also used black olives and spinach which I am sure would make this even more delicious. Make sure to head her way and be prepared to swoon :)

Broccoli Pesto Pasta
Adapted from  www.101cookbooks.com

Ingredients:
1 medium head of broccoli cut into little florets
1/2 toasted pine nuts
2 cloves roasted garlic
1/3 freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
juice of half a lemon
1/2 lb angel hair pasta
salt to taste
more parmesan for serving

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt and add broccoli. Cook for just twelve seconds (thanks Heidi :) ). Drain immediately and run cold water over the broccoli to stop cooking. Puree the broccoli, pine nuts, Parmesan, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor. Salt to taste. Drizzle in olive oil while still blending. Adjust with more salt or lemon juice if needed. Cook pasta until tender. Drain and stir in pesto. Taste and add more to your liking. Add more Parmesan cheese on top and serve.

No comments: