Sunday, February 5, 2012

Chicken Tikka Masala


This is one of me and my husband's favorite meals. It is from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution cookbook. Every so often when I find myself with a bunch of cilantro in the fridge I make this. I always keep some coconut milk and tikka paste in the pantry for when we get the craving for this dish. It is so delicious with a significant spicy kick. It warms you to the core. If you don't like spicy food, you may want to omit the chile since the tikka paste is a bit spicy on it's own. We add a hefty helping of plain greek yogurt on top to cut through the heat. My husband enjoys adding a huge pile of cilantro and mixing it in as well. Enjoy.

Chicken Tikka Masala
From Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Cookbook


  • 2 tablespoons peanut oil or coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 fresh red chile, thinly sliced (I use jalapeno)
  • 1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, leaves removed, stems finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup prepared tikka masala paste (I use Patak's)
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch strips
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (14-ounce) can of coconut milk
  • plain yogurt
Directions:
Heat oil and butter in a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, chile, ginger, and chopped cilantro stems. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and golden, about 10 minutes. Add tikka paste and chicken; stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Serve in bowls topped with yogurt and cilantro leaves. Serve with rice.

Pin It

2 comments:

Pam said...

I've never had this dish - it looks and sounds delicious.

LovesAvocado said...

Thanks Pam! :)